Sunday, March 15, 2009

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle! Composting is Cool!


Leon and I are doing our best to live by the motto reduce, reuse, recycle. We've been composting for well over a year now at R House in Rincon, Pueto Rico and have seen major improvements in our home garden by using the compost material for our organic herb garden and yard plants. We've also seen a dramatic decrease in the amount of trash that goes into our trash barrels.

Picking out the right composter was important to us.  We evaluated how we would use the composter and how often we would add to it.  Since I love to cook, and cook often, we realized our composter would be added to daily.  For that reason we chose the bin style as opposed to the tumbling composter.  The problem with the tumbling composter is if you use it daily, you're constantly adding fresh produce to it, which makes it more difficult to sift out the dark crumbly matter when gardening.  Living in a warm environment like Puerto Rico helps speed up the decomposition, but one can also compost while living in cold regions; it just may take a bit longer.

We chose the Earthsaver Compost Bin.  I found it online for about $180, but after searching the web a little longer, I found it on ebay for only $89 with shipping! The Earthsaver Compost Bin was easy to assemble, has dual sliding doors and a large locking lid to keep the rodents out. We added a mesh wire to the bottom of the composter and tacked it to the sides so that the rodents wouldn't be able to dig under the composter to get at the food scraps. It seems to have worked since we've never had any problems with rodents.  We do have about a million cockroaches living in the bin.  I was a bit worried about it so I did some research and learned that roaches are actually helping breakdown the food scraps added to the bin.

The best combo for your composter is layering greens and browns.  We add fruit, veggies, coffee grounds, cardboard toilet paper rolls, paper towel rolls, eggshells (no yolks!) and lint from the dryer as well as dry dead plants, leaves and grass.  Never add bones, meat, dairy, diseased plants, oil or chemically treated yard waste as this can lead to bad odors, rodents and flies.  Steve Tamar, my composting guru, told me that mango leaves are highly acidic so I try not to add that type of leaf to the mix.  Also, chemically treated yard waste can contain pesticides that are harmful to the composting organisms that help break down the matter.  I've also been told that horse manure is excellent to add and Pintos R Us happily agreed to donate all the manure I want for my bin.  I just haven't been able to bring myself to scoop the poop for the bin!


2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to compost for some time. We just bought some. It's hard to keep rotten trash in the kitchen in the winters here. I bet it will be a lot easier in Puerto Rico!

    Good job in helping PR catch up with the times, plus it looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A big shout out to our Patron Saint of Composting Ellen Lougee. In addition to be an inspirational composter, Ellen is a bad-ass artist. Check out some of her work at http://ellenlougee.com/

    ReplyDelete